If you are anything like me, you have been glued to your TV or news feed the last week. I have been here before; this feeling is very familiar. Scrolling, watching, digesting and feeling angry, overwhelmed and helpless. I want to do something but feel like there is nothing to do. The weight of the constant stream of information is heavy and feeling too much to bear. I know I am not alone in this.
What can we do:
- Sometimes you need to take a social media break. Close to and after the election things got very ugly, on both sides. I deactivated my FB account and took a break. This had little to do with the outcome of the election and more to do with the constant feed of negativity.
- Locate your supports and spend face to face time with them. Disconnecting from the constant feed provides on opportunity to connect to real people, hear about the real things they are doing, hopes, dreams etc. I encourage you to try to steer away from the topics that may be causing you negative feelings and fear, but this never really seems to work for me and my group. However, at least if you are talking about it in person with your support system, you are likely to feel supported rather than attacked.
- Disconnect from technology and reconnect with nature. Getting away from technology and spending some time outdoors can be very grounding. I personally do not thrive when I am feeling like I am constantly connected to something, with things beeping and vibrating at me demanding my attention. Step away, breathe deeply, look around at the beauty and let the past few days go, even if just for a moment to refresh and recharge.
- Speaking of grounding, do it. Ground yourself: 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, 1 thing you can taste. In this moment you are safe and secure, you are present and mindful, you are in control of only your reactions.
- Time to step up your self-care. Take some time out to do some of the things that bring you peace and joy. Step away from the screen and just do something for you!
- If you have experienced trauma or assault of any kind and are feeling triggered, please, I beg you, reach out and talk to someone. Schedule an extra session with your therapist. If you don’t have a therapist, there are several hotlines available to help:
- National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline: Call 800.656.HOPE (4673)
- Crisis Phone– 602-222-9444 or 800-631-1314
- Warm Line Phone– 602-347-1100
Times are tough right now. You are important, you matter, I believe in you! Be mindful and move forward in peace.